Program DetailsTocando is an after-school program that provides music learning and performing opportunities to elementary and middle school students in El Segundo Barrio. Music education is used as a vehicle for children to acquire valuable tools of teamwork, self-confidence, leadership, and academic success.
Tocando launched in September 2013 at Hart Elementary School in El Segundo Barrio in El Paso, TX. In July 2015, Tocando expanded to a second site at Mission Ridge Elementary in the Socorro Independent School District. In September 2017 Tocando moved all programming to Guillen Middle School to begin the Feeder School Initiative (FSI), concentrating programming at those schools in the feeder pattern of Bowie High School.
- Students in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades at Hart and Aoy Elementary Schools
- Students in 6th - 8th at Guillen Middle School
- 6 Teaching Staff
- 6-8 hours per week of musical instruction
- 2-4 hours per week of academic tutoring
- regular performance opportunities
- Semi-monthly birthday celebrations
- End of Year benefit concerts
The Tocando Community Music Project is a part of a visionary movement to transform the lives of children through music. Tocando’s mission is to empower children in challenging social and economic conditions to improve their sense of community and opportunity through immersive music is used as a vehicle for children to acquire valuable tools of musicianship, teamwork, self-confidence, leadership, and academic success.